Sunday, December 21, 2008

Jesus is the reason for the season

Taken from an article in the USA Today, "Christmas without the specter of the cross, without awareness that this is a baby born to die for mankind's sins, is a fancied-up fraud", says Horton, professor of theology and apologetics at Westminster Seminary California, and associate pastor at Christ United Reformed Church in Santee, Calif.

This is something that Pastor David at my church has preached both this Sunday and last, that if you don't see the cross through the Nativity, you've completely missed the message. I think so often even us as Christians who KNOW that Jesus, a sinless man, was crucified for our sins, tend to forget all that and get all "gooey" at the thought of Jesus as a baby. Not until Easter time rolls around do we consider the reason Jesus came to this earth. I think it's important to remember that at Christmas time too. Christmas is more than Jesus being born, even as a baby He was our Savior and He had only one purpose for coming to this world, to be crucified. Make sure you have the big picture in mind next time you see a Nativity, make sure you see the cross in the shadow of it.

1 comment:

Denise said...

Wow! What a wonderful way to witness, Lisa. I couldn't agree with you more on these writings in your blog. It is truly amazing to look back upon your life and see how God's hand has been guiding you through so much. Even though I pushed Him away He kept on shining into my life. Now I wonder, WHY ME? I know WHY ME, it is so I can witness to others about HIS saving grace. Blessings on your venture for your church. It is wonderful to see what God can do through the technological advances of today. Our pastor has a video on God Tube and I still cannot believe it. I will visit here often to read, be inspired and encourage your ADVENTure for church! IN Christ, Denise Duvall Kegley