Thursday, July 10, 2008

Why Do I Need More Than Enough?

Oh boy, Oh boy, Oh boy!!!! I finished listening to the rest of the North Point Ministries Podcasts and I have to tell you the last ones, just blew my mind. My husband and I have been struggling with how to get our finances under control in such a way that we can tithe effectively and not have it run us short. Neither one of us are real good at the whole budget thing and therefore we end up over spending. Me, because I like to shop, don't really NEED anything, just WANT alot. Him because I cannot say no to him when we shouldn't spend or don't really have the money, because I feel guilty that I have spent and now there's nothing left for him. What a vicious cycle!!!

In the last series however, that I listened to from Andy Stanley, he talks about spending and finances. One of the questions he asks us is, "Why do you need more than enough?". He talks about the wealthy man who has a better than average crop and has no place to store the excess. So instead of sharing the excess he builds bigger and better buildings to hold his grains. He then thinks he can sit back and relax because he has all this grain and he will be taken care of for many years. Yet the Lord decides that his life will be taken from him that night, so he never gets to enjoy all that excess. So all this extra stuff we fill our life up, is just stuff, and when we die, other people get it! We need to get rid of all the extra stuff, collections are just that, collections and truely do us no good, just more stuff that clutters our lives and makes us want more. I've always been a collector or one thing or more, and truely enjoy my collections, however, I now see them in a different light. I think it's time for a rummage sale, don't you?

Why do I need more than enough?

1 comment:

MRMARK said...

The LO$T series was great! One of my favorite at North Point. The intro videos for each sermon are available here:

http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?p=r&user=northpointministries&page=2

You will certainly laugh!